I'm actually quite surprised at how much I missed southern California given my love/hate relationship with the area. I've only been back for a few days (staying with the greatest friends for a couple of days while we find a place) but I'm already feeling mixed feelings about southern California.
- I kind of loved that during my first night back in South California I was woken up in the middle of the night by an earthquake.
- Freedom! It is so amazing to be able to drive / walk around anywhere I want. At any time.
- Friends! So happy to see our friends again.
- Familiarity. I now live in a place that I feel familiar with: I know where to go for my favorite meal, if I get injured, or just want some time to myself. I was so uncertain of everything while in South Africa so this is a very welcomed change.
- Glorious, glorious sunshine. Today = 86 degrees = heaven.
- High speed internet. Whoa, life is good!
- While I love the sunshine, the weather is actually a big problem right now. The state hasn't received enough rainfall and this is one of the driest Januarys on record. And the draught plus Santa Ana Winds have resulted in a few fires around the area. Yikes.
- Paying real bills again. This is more a product of moving back to the US, but moving to Southern California means paying more for rent, car insurance, etc, etc, yuck.
- Bros. Bros everywhere. See below:
- Two words: lifted trucks.
Okay it seems pretty clear that I love southern California a bit more than I dislike it. Do you have a love / hate relationship with where you live?
[link with Friday Confessions.]