I admit it: I love really good wine. Sure, I’m also a sucker for cheap bottles, but I love to treat myself to a really good (not necessarily expensive) bottle of wine.
We all collect things, right? Well, my name is Nicole and I love wine. It shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that I “collect” wine since I grew up in Sonoma. I use the word “collect” loosely. It really comes down to the fact that I have a few wineries that I really like and tend to hoard wine from them (aka joined wine clubs like I showed yesterday). One of the nice things about being in a wine club is that every now and then they throw in a really nice bottle of wine. The kind of wine that you keep around for another 5-7 years waiting for it to peak. Okay, I realize that this sounds a bit snooty but I really do love the idea of opening a bottle after letting it age for a while. So to avoid opening up one of those nice bottles, I try to keep my wine somewhat organize using these 3 guidelines
- I keep all my nice bottles on the bottom row of my wine rack. That way I won’t accidentally open one up.
- I put a green sticker on all of the bottles that can opened at any time (aka the 2 Buck Chuck’s of the collection
- I keep all my wine in a little spreadsheet. I know: super lame. BUT my spreadsheet is the only thing that makes sure that I don’t open up one of those nice bottles before it peaks. If you’re interested, I created a copy of my wine collection inventory sheet for download (excel file). I keep track of the basics: winery, vintage (year), type of wine, and when I should drink it. You could totally add other categories to a spreadsheet:
- Sweet or Dry
- Body (light / medium / full)
- Food pairings
- Texture (tannins)
- Intensity of flavor
- If you’d give up a foot for another bottle
All (especially the last) are totally legitimate things to consider.
Welcome to Treat Yo’ Self Thursday!
Last Week’s Most Viewed Treat
How do you take your outfit photos?
How to Treat Yo’ Self:
- Link up your most recent blog post.
- Grab a button or link back so that more people can join the fun.
- Visit at least 2 other blogs and share the love.
- Spread the word by using the hashtag #TreatYoSelfThursday and I’ll retweet your link!
Treat Yo’ Self!