I cannot believe that I’ve been in Cameroon for a week! And that is probably because I haven’t. While I left the US last Thursday, it took us 31 hours to arrive to our hotel in Cameroon. So far I’ve been very busy with the professional conference I am attending but I have still managed to find a few highlights:
- ✓ Spilling coffee all over Matt and a colleague about 2 hours into the conference
- ✓ Getting trapped in an elevator during a brief power outage, one of the most terrifying experiences of my life
- ✓ Not being able to tell if someone is networking with me or flirting with me … “let’s get dinner / a drink / coffee” all means networking, right?
- ✓ Collecting a wide array of mosquito bites and praying my malaria medicine works
- ✓ Calling the person I spilled coffee on the wrong name the following day
- ✓ Apologizing a million times for not speaking French in a country where it is one of the national languages
- ✓ Losing a few pounds because a vegetarian lunch in a meat-heavy country looks like this:
For the record, that is 2.5 pieces of plantains, half a cassava, and roughly a tablespoon of spinach.
So far it has been a pretty successful conference! Actually, the conference has been wonderful. A lot of the evaluation work being done in Africa is incredibly inspiring and I’m learning so much from my peers. I’ve attended some great sessions on knowledge management, poverty alleviation, and using systematic triangulation to evaluator climate and environmental programs (nerd alert, but I loved it!). I’m excited to see more awesome sessions during the next few days and hopefully see some of the great Cameroonian forests!
Welcome to Treat Yo’ Self Thursday!
Let me introduce you to this week’s co-hosts / awesome sponsors!
Kari from This, Too
My blog chronicles my daily adventures in trying to make my life full of color, inspiration, and purpose. I’ve also got some really easy DIYs sprinkled in. Like really easy. So easy I can do them.
1 Adventure in 2014: Isn’t actually going inside a Chipotle restaurant adventure enough? Well, an upcoming adventure in the more traditional sense of the word is that we’re planning on visiting Panama City, FL for a friend’s wedding and getting to soak up some sun. That sounds pretty good since it is unbelievably cold in Kansas City right now.
2 Posts You Need To Read: 1) Murder Mystery Party. 2) Painted Bead Necklace DIY.
3 Words to Describe This, too: Colorful Ordinary Adventures.
blog | bloglovin‘ | twitter | pinterest | instagram | etsy
Bri from Deliciously Active
In my blog I mainly focus on topics that most interest me: health, fitness, and food! I do not believe in diets, I believe in living an active and balanced life. I also focus on traveling and seeing new places and learning about different cultures.
1 Adventure in 2014: My husband and I have been certified scuba divers for years and are planning another shark dive. Last time I had a shark swim up to my face less than a foot away. The bubbles I released as I exhaled scared him away and I was so disappointed!
2 Posts You Need To Read: 1) Running is the greatest workout of all time. 2) Kids suck the life out of you.
3 Words to Describe deliciously active: healthy, active life.
blog | bloglovin‘ | twitter | pinterest | instagram
Last Week’s Most Viewed Treat
How to Treat Yo’ Self:
- Link up your most recent blog post.
- Hope over and follow this week’s co-hosts. They are awesome, I promise!
- Grab a button or link back so that more people can join the fun.
- Visit at least 2 other blogs and share the love.
- Spread the word by using the hashtag #TreatYoSelfThursday and I’ll retweet your link!
Treat Yo’ Self!