In August of 2013, I decided to put together a 30 by 30 list – 30 things that I’d like to accomplish before I turn 30. The list is divided into six things that I try to do every day: learn, adventure, love, smile, create, and grow. Since I only have one and a half years left to complete all 30 items, I thought it would be helpful for me to revisit the list and check in on my progress. So far I’ve only completed 5 / 30, but I’m pretty close on another 6. Everything in bold is new since my last update.
30 by 30 Update
- Adventure # 7, Go swimming with dolphins, sharks, or whales: I went swimming with Black Tipped Reef Sharks and Lemon Sharks – cage free! – in Bora Bora.
- Adventure # 9: Visit 5 United States National Parks (1. Grand Canyon; 2. Zion; 3. Mojave; 4. Joshua Tree; 5. Virgin Islands)
- Love #16, Vegan diet for one month: I did it! I’ve been veganish since the beginning of 2015 but kind of living by my own, ‘non-strict rules’ for eating. I did, however, manage to stick to a strict vegan diet for a whole month, which was difficult in some ways and so easy in other ways.
- Smile #17, Read 30 books for fun: You can find the complete list here.
- Grow, #29: Confront a major fear: Cage Diving With Great White Sharks.
- Learn # 1: Finish my PhD – the never ending project. But I’m making progress!
- Learn #2: Publish an empirical article. I’ve got two articles under review!
- Adventure #12: Visit each continent
- Create #23: Work my way through a cookbook. (But I Could Never Go Vegan!: 125 Recipes That Prove You Can Live Without Cheese, It’s Not All Rabbit Food, and Your Friends Will Still Come Over for Dinner)
- Grow #26: Research my family’s heritage
- Love #13: Find a charity that I love and support it regularly
You can see all the other items on my 30 by 30 list here.